Kill Screen is looking for a branded content editor.
The branded content editor is in charge of the cohesion and direction of all Kill Screen’s client-facing editorial projects, including print, online, and one-off creative projects. They report directly to the our client services director. The editor will set the tone for all client editorial programs, source and oversee freelance writers, and lead editorial production for multiple branded-content projects. This includes conducting research; brainstorming, writing, and editing branded content; as well as developing and managing our editorial network.
In particular, Kill Screen is interested in working with and hiring women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with disabilities, and people with nontraditional educational backgrounds.
And it's worth noting, we're not "gamers" at Kill Screen, although we love games and play! So if you have a stereotype of who belongs at a game company or are worried that you don't play enough, don't worry. There's no Super Mario Kart test. We just want someone who sees the same potential and possibility for games as we do.
This is a contract position at $60/hour.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create high-quality branded content in collaboration with other editors, writers, designers, project managers, developers, and other team members
- Brainstorm and help write original program concepts in response to brand/agency RFPs
- Write and edit primary- and secondary-source reporting and writing for Kill Screen branded projects
- Provide copy for headlines, blurbs, descriptions, and other short-form copy
- Source and manage an expanding network of freelance writers, editors, and related contributors
- Maintain knowledge of new or evolving tech/games/interactive media trends and information as it relates to our clients
- Stay up to speed on custom editorial executions at competitive publishers
- 3–6 years reporting and/or editing experience in a journalistic role
- Copywriting/copyediting experience
- Knows how to find the sweet spot between journalism and advertising
- Excited by the publisher branded content sphere and up to speed on competitors’ programs
- Management experience
- Highly proactive, thrives in startup atmosphere
- Happily wears more than one hat
- Collaborative by nature, values others’ good ideas
ABOUT KILL SCREEN
Kill Screen is a digital media company that focuses on games, play and interactivity.
We know all things interactive, from virtual reality to esports to game development. Based in Los Angeles, we create editorial through three websites and a magazine as well as organize events, such as the groundbreaking Arcade at the Museum of Modern Art, and the Kill Screen Festival, which Mashable called “the TED of videogames.” The New Yorker called Kill Screen "the McSweeney's of interactive media" and TIME said the writing was so "polished that they might help convince doubters that games are worth taking seriously."
As a content strategy and development partner, our past and present clients include GE, Intel, PBS, MoMA, Warby Parker and more. We've worked with brands and agencies to help them unlock the power of play and we’re big believers in how story can transform the way you speak to your audience.